Congregation B’nai Sisterhood, an affiliate of Women’s League for Conservative Judaism, welcomes the participation of all women in the Albuquerque community and beyond. Now in our 85th year of existence, we have long supported our congregation in many ways, as well as serving as a source of social action and interaction for our members. Here are a few of the ways Sisterhood supports Congregation B’nai Israel and the Jewish community of Albuquerque:
The Judaica Shop, located in the synagogue lobby, is open to the public Monday – Friday, Sunday 9:00 am to 12 noon. Call 505-266-0155 to schedule personal appointments and verify hours. Come in to find something extraordinary for yourself, or your friends and family.Inside the shop is a tastefully curated assortment of items for religious and ritual use, Jewish holidays, and life-cycle celebrations. The gifts are wonderful for making memorable a baby’s birth or naming, a Bar / Bat Mitzvah, weddings and engagements, birthdays, housewarmings or other occassions. Everything from mezuzah covers, Tallits, menorahs, kiddush cups, Havdalah candles, kippot/yarmulkes, Torah pointer yads, picture and religious books, shofars, and more. Throughout the year, our gift shop runs special promotions and discounts on seasonal items. As the premiere speciality Judaica shop in Albuquerque: 1) We provide excellent customer service. 2) We buy our inventory wisely, and carefully, considering all Jewish holidays and milestone life events where items are most suitable for you, our customer. 3) Our prices are reasonable! 4) All proceeds from sales directly boost support for the Sisterhood’s educational and community boosting endeavors at Congregation B’nai Israel.
Proceeds from donations and contributions from the sale of all-occasion cards go to the Women’s League for Conservative Judaism and their scholarship funds. Mail to Susan Shadoff at [email protected] or 6335 Cliffbrush Lane NE, Albuquerque, NM 87111.
Sisterhood fundraising provides:
- Camp scholarships to our members’ children or grandchildren
- Gifts for B’nai Mitzvah and Confirmation Class Graduates
- Supplies for the Irving and Edith Friedman Academy of Jewish Learning, the synagogue’s religious school.
- Security for classrooms
- Maintenance and management of two commercial-grade kosher kitchens–one for meat (fleishig) and one for dairy (milchig)
- Synagogue beautification (for example, new carpeting, furniture for the Social Hall, landscaping)
- Community service
- Social engagement and friendship with women who nurture and encourage positive Jewish identity, life-long learning, and mitzvot.
Sisterhood Events are held throughout the year and include:
- Opening Dinner
- Fundraising partnership with WORLD ORT to sell jars of kosher honey for welcoming in the Jewish New Year.
- Jewish Book Month
- Nosh Fest
- Sisterhood Shabbat
- Blanket-making for charities
- Additional programs and speakers