The health and safety of our congregants is of the utmost concern to us. The Executive Committee met this evening to discuss how best to proceed with a plan to govern building usage and guidelines for services and events scheduled at B’nai for the next few weeks. After much serious consideration, our decision are as follows:
In order to minimize contact between individuals as the coronavirus continues to spread in our city,
- We have decided to close our building effective 3:30 pm tomorrow, Friday, March 13, 2020.
- If you have personal belongings that you need to retrieve, or materials that you need to bring home for working remotely, please do so by that time.
- If you placed a challah order for this Shabbat, please pick it up (or arrange for someone to pick it up for you) no later than 3:30 pm
- Services for this Kabbalat Shabbat, Friday, March 13, 2020 and this Shabbat morning, Saturday, March 14, 2020 have been cancelled. Rabbi’s Torah study class at 12:30 pm has also been cancelled. The Joint NMJHS event Experiment in Jewish Living schedule for March 15th has been postponed. Other events, cancellations and postponements will be adjusted accordingly. We will notify you week by week as things develop.
- In keeping with the APS decision to close all district schools, and Gov. Lujan’s directive to close all public schools throughout New Mexico for three weeks, we will follow suit and cancel Religious School on premises until the end of spring break, April 5, 2020.
The Executive Committee will meet again this Monday evening to discuss options for how we might best conduct Shabbat services, religious school, special programs scheduled to take place during this time period, Adult Education classes,and committee meetings, remotely, using the technology available to us. In situations where that might not be possible, dates will be considered to reschedule during healthier times.
The Executive Committee is also working out the details for a congregational telephone tree, so that we can stay connected, and check up on each other. This is a time, more than ever, that we need your help to keep each other together. I’m sure you have friends and family in the community. At this time, as we’re not able to gather together physically, we can still call or write to each other to stay in touch and to share our wins and our losses.
We are also working out the details for how we can continue to conduct business safely and efficiently during this trying time. We will approach each new issue as it comes, being guided by information gathered from multiple reliable sources, many of which were included in the email blast this morning. We will send a follow-up message as soon as possible next week to let you know more regarding any continued closures and adjustments to other services or events.
We thank you for your continued support.
Kol Yisrael arevim zeh ba zeh
We are all responsible for each other.
Elynn M. Finston, President
P.S. The following are resources to help you plan and prepare for yourself and your family. It is also helpful to stay informed about what’s going on and take whatever precautions necessary. If you need help, be sure to reach out to a professional. The NM Coronavirus Helpline is listed below:
- Centers for Diseases Control (CDC):
- UNM Healthsciences Center:
- FEMA Resources:
- New Mexico Department of Health:
- http://cv.nmhealth.org (Coronavirus Hotline: 1-855-600-3453)
Feel free to review this info and share it with others. Thanks. Be safe.